Network Approach < Core Group < Associated Specialists > Strategic Partners
At Gryphon Resources a project manager provides clients with a point of contact, but delivery is often through a team-based approach employing the skills of several specialists. We also undertake projects in association with strategic partners and we pride ourselves in building local capability with associated consultants and organizations that are able to more effectively support our work during and after our direct involvement. Our associated specialists include:
||Dr. Benjamin C. S. Sutton - Forest Biotechnology|
Dr. Sutton earned a B.Sc. (Hon) in Botany and Chemistry, and a Ph.D. in Plant Science. He is an internationally recognized scientist having published extensively and co-authored two patents on the development and application of somatic embryogenesis, molecular biology and other biotechnologies for capturing genetic gain in forestry. Dr. Sutton has spent twenty years initiating, developing and managing a variety of biotechnology business ventures. He has become an experienced entrepreneur and corporate manager having:
- Developed the British Columbia Forest Biotechnology Centre, a $3 million annual contract research and development business, and having managed it sustainably for 10 years attracting internationally renowned scientists in the field.
- Managed research in various aspects of forest biotechnology with special emphasis on molecular genetics of forest species.
- Sold contract research and financed technology development, research collaborations and joint ventures.
- Established and managed Silvagen Inc., a start-up venture to commercialize somatic embryogenesis and genetic transformation of conifers in North American and world markets, and ran the Company as President and CEO until its merger with Pacific Biotechnologies to form CellFor Inc.
- Negotiated numerous commercial contracts which allowed Silvagen and subsequently CellFor Inc. to obtain rights to products developed with strategic partners in USA, New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Argentina and S. Africa. The penetration of the Chilean market included the establishment of a joint venture company based in Chile.
Dr. Sutton is also an accomplished herbalist and essential oil producer, having established and operated a successful lavender farm using selected clones of advanced French and English genotypes on Saltspring Island, British Columbia. He is also Chairman of Agrisoma Biosciences Inc., past director of the Institute of forest Biotechnology (Research Triangle Park), North Carolina, past member of the Genome BC Scientific Steering Committee, founding board member of the B.C. Biotechnology Alliance, and has sat in numerous other scientific boards and councils. Click here to see his detailed resume (PDF).
Saltspring Island, B.C.: 1 604 (250 653-2334
||Mr. Juan Carlos Carmona – Chile Operations|
Mr. Carmona runs the Chile operations of Gryphon Resources and its subsidiary, BioEquity S.A. He is a project manager specialist with over 20 years of international experience in the design, planning and implementation of R&D and resource development initiatives. With a degree in Forestry Engineering he has worked in Chile and overseas in technology transfer, scientific research and a variety of entrepreneurial and productive activities. In the forestry sector, Mr Carmona has been particularly active in genetic improvement, silviculture and timber harvesting, having led or participated in many resource development projects for private industry and international development agencies. Fluent in Spanish, English and German, he has travelled extensively and been exposed to many different cultural and technological environments. He is particularly adept at business development and the assembly of multidisciplinary professional teams for implementing innovative investment projects. Click here to see his detailed resume (PDF).
Concepción, Chile: 56 9 9089-5961
||Mr. Alan P. Casasempere - Value-added Wood Products|
Mr. Alan Casasempere graduated with a B.Sc. in Woods Products Processing from the University of British Columbia. He is presently completing a Master of Divinity part time at the Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary, ACTS Seminaries & Regent College.
Mr. Casasempere is an accomplished value-added wood products specialist having successfully trained and worked in the Canadian wood processing industry in various capacities, including:
- wood workability and aesthetic classification
- Assembly of wood based products and furniture
- Wood products transportation, handling and storage, including inventory control
- Operation & maintenance of woodworking machines
- Industrial plant design and improvement
- Mechanical optimization of CNC machines
- Export and import of wood products, including lumber, mouldings, kitchen cabinets, wood accessories and other value-added wood products
In his early years he also worked in the design and construction of wooden fences, and in garden and yard landscaping. Mr. Casasempere is Gryphon Resources point person when undertaking projects which involve the mechanical transformation of wood industry, and the storage, handling and inventory of wood products. Click here to see his detailed resume (PDF).
Vancouver, B.C.: 1 604 275-5947